Author: Vicki Searcy, Vice President, VerityStream
It is that time of year for all NAMSS members (there are over 6,000) to reflect on what NAMSS means to us individually and to the industry. Because of NAMSS, its members and its leaders, most individuals who work in credentialing experience increased recognition, respect and influence throughout the healthcare industry.
Here are my top reasons to celebrate this year:
- NAMSS members are typically never bored. We are constantly learning something new (regulations, new privileging modalities, mastering new technology) and our workdays fly by.
- Because we work with some of the smartest individuals in the healthcare industry, our work is always interesting. We see physicians on the news every day speaking about what is happening in communities all over the country as well as nationally (some of you work with these physicians!). I think that we are all proud to partner with physicians and other healthcare providers during this time when the healthcare industry is prominently in the news and the services they provide are so essential.
- We know that we make a difference to patient safety. It is true that sometimes the work can get a bit repetitious and routine – but we always know that even when that occurs, what we do is vital to assuring that our patients receive care from competent providers. That is what keeps us motivated. That is what makes us proud of our contribution to patient safety.
- The work that we do in credentialing has become more visible because of the connection of credentialing to provider enrollment (and our organizations getting paid!). We are typically responsible for collecting and verifying the data used in provider enrollment – and it is becoming more prevalent that NAMSS members are responsible for departments that provide both credentialing and provider enrollment services!
- We have wonderful colleagues! I met some of my best friends as a result of NAMSS and I know that is true for many of you. Those friendships and relationships have enriched my life.
Congratulations to all NAMSS members during this important week – celebrate with a fellow member (via Zoom)!
Just a note to let you know that you’ll be receiving a credentialing survey to complete within the next few weeks. The 2021 Annual Survey on Medical Staff Credentialing will be sent out just after Thanksgiving and you’ll have a few weeks to complete and submit it.
Don’t let your colleagues down – your participation helps to assure comprehensive and meaningful data for the credentialing and privileging industry.